Thursday, February 20, 2014

PORGY AND BESS REVIEW

Hello Again All, 
 I hope everyone has been having a good few weeks (or at least trying!) Hang in there summer 2014 is almost here!! 

 This past Tuesday (February 18th, 2014) I had the honor of attending the press opening night  for Porgy&Bess. First, before I get into the show details I just want to say how blown away I was by this show! I had no idea/concept of this show (only knowing it was based from an opera) so you could see why I was a bit hesitant. I was certainly proved wrong though! This was one of the best shows I have ever seen, and the story line was absolutely inspiring! I laughed, I cried, and I sang throughout the entire production. 

My favorite song was "I Got Plenty of Nothing" sung by the character Porgy (Nathaniel Stampley).  It was just such an uplifting song, and was so meaningful in its message saying 'I got plenty of nothing, and nothing is plenty for me. I got the sun, I got the moon, i got the deep blue sea," which can provide such a valuable lesson for everyone today about just being happy for the little things! The music was amazing they had about (I believe) 25-30 member pit with different instruments. The singing was phenomenal, and for once the music didn't overpower their voices, I was actually able to hear EVERY SINGLE WORD which I loved! The costume designs were just like the Broadway revival, and the set was magnificent! 

The night endly very nicely with me meeting the entire cast, and them having nothing but nice words about Philly, and us (Me and my friend Nicky we're the only two at the Stage Door, and they all graciosuly signed our playbills!) Some cast members that stuck out for me that were the best (all though to be fair they ALL are great) are: Alicia Hall Moran (Bess) who's voice was that of an Angel. Nathaniel Stampley (Porgy) who I think played the best role, and played it with such heart and soul, Alivin Crawford (Crown), Sumayya Ali (Clara) who's rendition of the hit 'Summer time" was the most beautiful rendition I've heard, James Earl Jones II, Danielle Lee Greaves, David Hughey, and Danisha Ballew also were some of my favs!!   There is nothing I can say bad about this show, but GO SEE IT! ONLY 5 PERFORMANCES LEFT!! For tickets visit the Academy of Music's website www.kimmelcenter.org/broadway or www.porgyandbessthemusical.com  

Here is a synopsis of the show so you can get an idea of the story line. (credit: www.porgyandbessthemusical.com)


ACT I

On a quiet evening in Charleston’s Catfish Row, Clara and her husband Jake sing a lullaby (“Summertime”) to their baby. In the courtyard, the men gather for a game of dice (“Roll Them Bones”) while Jake tries to teach his baby about the ways of women (“A Woman is a Sometime Thing”). Amongst the players and bystanders are Porgy, a crippled beggar; Sporting Life, a shady drug dealer; Crown, an infamous drunk and bully; and Bess, Crown’s woman who is shunned as a “hussy”.
Porgy wins the game. When Crown flies into a rage, Robbins, another player, jumps to Porgy’s defense. Crown and Robbins fight and Crown kills him with a cotton hook. With the police on their way, Crown flees but warns Bess that he will return for her. With no one else in Catfish Row willing to take her in, Bess takes shelter with Porgy.
The inhabitants of Catfish Row try to collect money to give Robbins a proper burial (“Gone, Gone, Gone”), as Porgy and Bess shock their neighbors by entering the funeral together. After a violent interruption from the police investigating Robbins’ murder, the widow Serena laments his death (“My Man’s Gone Now”). Bess helps convince the undertaker to accept what the community can afford to pay (“Leaving for the Promised Land”).
One month later, the men set out fishing on Jake’s boat, the Sea Gull (“It Takes a Long Pull To Get There”). Porgy, a changed man since Bess began living with him, sings about his life and his love (“I Got Plenty of Nothing”). Sporting Life arrives on the scene and Mariah threatens him with violence if he tries to sell drugs in Catfish Row (“I Hates Your Strutting Style”). Seeing how happy she has made Porgy, the community has come to accept Bess and Porgy decides to buy her a divorce from Crown. Sporting Life again tries to push drugs on Bess, but Porgy saves her (“Bess, You Is My Woman Now”). Bess is invited to the neighborhood picnic on nearby Kittiwah Island (“Oh, I Can’t Sit Down”) but Porgy stays behind awaiting the delivery of a brace for his leg.

ACT II

On Kittiwah Island, Sporting Life interrupts Serena’s “sermon” with a satirical punch on religion (“It Ain’t Necessarily So”). As everyone else boards the boat to return to Catfish Row, a half-starved Crown jumps from the bushes and seizes Bess. The boat leaves and Bess is trapped on the island with Crown, who has been hiding out there since murdering Robbins. Bess struggles against him, insisting that she is with Porgy now (“What You Want With Bess?”). Crown, refusing to accept that Bess has changed, attempts to take her by force and Bess, desperate, gives in to his embraces. The two leave, deeper into the wilds of Kittiwah.
The next day, the fishermen head out to sea, even though it is high storm season. Bess stumbles back to Catfish Row, having walked twenty miles home from Kittiwah during low tide. She collapses, weakened and delirious with fever. Porgy remains steadfast at her side, and Serena prays for Bess’s health (“Oh, Doctor Jesus”). As Bess recovers inside Porgy’s house, vendors walk about Catfish Row selling strawberries, honey, and crabs (“Street Cries”). Bess awakens and apologizes to Porgy for being with Crown. Porgy vows to protect Bess if Crown ever comes back to her (“I Love You, Porgy”). The hurricane bell sounds, warning everyone that a storm is imminent.
With the hurricane raging, all of Catfish Row huddles inside (“Oh, The Lord Shake the Heaven”). Suddenly, Crown barges in, mocking everyone’s prayers with a bawdy song (“A Red Headed Woman”), demanding that Bess go with him. When Clara sees that Jake’s boat has overturned in the ocean, she asks Bess to watch after her baby and runs into the raging storm to find her husband. Crown follows after Clara to rescue her.
Crown, Clara, and Jake all seem to be lost in the hurricane. After the storm, the town is in mourning (“Clara, Don’t You Be Downhearted”). Bess has adopted Clara and Jake’s baby as her own and sings Clara’s lullaby (“Summertime (Reprise)”). That night, Crown, who actually survived the hurricane, returns to look for Bess. Porgy attacks Crown and kills him. Later, the police arrive and demand that Porgy come down to the station and identify the body. Afraid of being arrested for the murder instead, Porgy is dragged off unwillingly. In Porgy’s absence, Sporting Life tempts Bess with cocaine, or “happy dust”, and she considers leaving for New York with him (“There’s a Boat That’s Leaving Soon for New York”).
After spending the night in prison, Porgy arrives back in Catfish Row. He is eager to see Bess but she is nowhere to be found. Porgy’s neighbors reluctantly reveal to him that Bess has left for New York without him. Porgy, distraught, cries out for his love (“Bess, Oh Where’s My Bess?”) while Maria and Serena encourage Porgy to forget about her. Undeterred, Porgy calls for his cane and leaves for New York to find Bess (“Oh Lord, I’m on My Way”).
xx RyeMy
Encourage. Inspire. Empower 
vist www.thepositivityproject.org  to read all of my interviews and more! 





No comments:

Post a Comment