Thursday, February 13, 2014

Interview with Broadway Star Clay Thomson

Hey Guys, 
 Check out my interview with up and coming Broadway Star Clay Thomson. He has been  spotted in West Side Story Tour (A-Rab), Newsies the Musical (Spot Conlon), and now currently Matilda On Broadway (Swing/ Gym Coach), [he is on a brief hiatus, but will return shortly!] :) He is such a sweet guy, and I am so thankful he was able to take time out of his busy schedule to answer these questions! He gives some INSPIRATIONAL and GOOD advice for anyone wanting to learn more about show business. He is LEGIT a Triple Threat (which means he is a GREAT dancer, singer, and actor).

What is it like being a part of Matilda On Broadway? And what has been best part of doing the show?
CT: Being a part of the cast of Matilda is truly a dream come true! It's my first time being part of an original Broadway cast! I'd have to say the best part of doing the show would be getting to go to, and perform at the TONY Awards this year! It was a remarkable experience!

When did you start performing?
CT: I started performing in community theatre when I was around 5 years old- doing anything and everything I could! I remember learning all the lines in the shows I was doing and I would say the other peoples lines in my head while they said them. Pretty silly, but I was just so passionate about it, I couldn't get enough! 

Before Matilda you were in Disney's hit musical NEWSIES. What was that experience like as a newsboy? Was it a challenging show to do? And is there a possibility you will be on the tour of it?
CT: Newsies was a blast! It was such a fun show to be a part of! It was definitely a challenging show! The dancing is hard, and tumbling can be hard on your body as well. But it's good for you to do things that challenge/scare you! I think going on tour would Newsies would be fun! But I don't have any plans to go on the tour at this time.

You went from being on tour, to being on Broadway 8 nights a week. What has being on Broadway this past year been like for you?
CT:There aren't too many differences between being on tour and being on Broadway. The biggest (and most obvious) difference is doing the show in a different city every so often vs. staying in NYC. They are both shows that we did 8 times a week, with typically one day off each week. Both are incredible experiences. 

What was your audition process like, and how did you finally end up scoring the role? And what can someone expect if they are auditioning?
CT: For Matilda, I went to an invited dance call that I got from my agent. After the initial call, I came in several times for callbacks where we did more dancing, sang songs, and read sides from the show. I read for Michael and Rudolpho in my auditions. I think I went in about 4 times total. 

What is your favorite song from the show, and is there a particularly line that you sing that you feel relates to your life?
CT: I have many favorite songs in Matilda.. the score is just so dang good! I'd have to say my top two are "When I Grow Up" and "Revolting Children".

What advice can you give to people who want to break into this business?
CT: If you want to be a part of this business, my biggest piece of advice would be to BElieve in YOUrself. Don't try to be what you think the people behind the table are looking for. Just be yourself, and give them the best YOU, YOU can be! Also you can never be too prepared. If they give you sides, try your hardest to have them as memorized as you can! Another big thing is to research what you're going in for. The more you know, the better!

What else is coming up for you in the future for you?
CT: I'll be returning to Matilda in a little bit, but I can't announce what I'm doing before I return, until it is publicly announced. So stay tuned! :) 


For more information on Clay and to keep up with him visit www.claythomson.com, and for tickets and information on Matilda The Musical visit  www.us.matildathemusical.com !

xx RyeMy 
Encourage. Inspire. Empower

keep up to date with me at www.thepositivityproject.org  and see what else I am doing! :) 

Follow me at the following!
Tweet me on Twitter www.twitter.com/RyeTheNewsGuy
Or feel free to email me ThePositiveNewsmaker@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment