Saturday, February 8, 2014

CATS The Musical Review (Broadway Theater Of Pitman)

CATS The Musical 

Hey Guys, 
Last night Friday, February 7th, 2013 I attended CATS at the Broadway Theater of Pitman. The Broadway Theater is  located at 43 S. Broadway,Pitman, NJ. CATS is directed by Kate-Orlando Meditz.  Just a little write up on the theater itself. If you have never been to this theater, then you must get yourself over there! After opening in 1926 and being a vaudeville theater, and then reopening in 2006 it has kept the same historical features, and architectural design while still having the most up to date equipment around! I must say, that no matter where you sit in this theater, you will be able to see the stage without hesitation. That mentioned, the only down fall is the leg room with the seats. It is very tight, but expected for theater of this type, but that is only a small flaw, and DOES NOT take away from the experience of the shows performed there! 

First, Let me just start off by saying WOW! What an incredible production of Andrew Lloyd Webber's hit musical CATS!!  They always do such amazing shows at this theater! I must say, I am picky when it comes to seeing shows, because I get the album and show stuck in my head, and I want the  production to be just  like that. That being said, I am familiar with the show and LOVE the music but have never seen it live, but boy did they live up to my expectation! There was tons of audience interactions by the CATS, which made the experience even more incredible (and the fact that I  also sat in the first row in front of the stairs!)  Also the dancing and singing was absolutely incredible! The energy and charisma that the actors had was nonstop and they were constantly in character. 

 For those who are unfamiliar with the show (which a lot of people are, which is okay!) basically The musical is based on T.S Elliot's "Old Possums Book of Practical Cats" which is a book of poetry. Each musical number is the story of a different cat. The show begins with all of the cats assembling together from all over, and  the purpose of this gathering is for Old Deuteronomy to choose the most deserving of cats to make the journey up to the "Heavy Side Layer". Only one cat can make this journey. Although the plot is sometimes hard to understand the show itself is so unique with amazing costumes, and extraordinary make up, and if you get the chance in life to see the show, DO IT!

Some notable actors that really stuck out, and whose vocals were THE BEST for me were the following: Munkustrap who is played by Chris Melohn, and is also the main cat was by far my favorite! His vocal and dancing abilty was absolutely tremendous! Mungojerrie/Macavity who was played by Sean Clancy was one of my favorites as well! His rendition of 'Mungojerrrie' and Rumpleteazer' was flawless, and he hit some incredible notes. As Macavity which was a very dance heavy role he was fabulous in as well, his acrobatic skills, and audience interaction for that number really made the show! Also Tugger played by Curt Foy (which is my favorite character) was great as well! He played the role with such spunk, and attitude, and may i say FREAKING KILLER VOCALS, HOLY CRAP! And of course who couldn't fall in love with the character who is an outcast through most of the show: Grizabella played by Marissa Hines. This is the cat that belts the popular and heart touching ballad- 'Memory'. That song has such special meaning to me, and I was very crucial of this part going into the show, and she made me cry! One of the best voices I have EVER EVER heard for this part (sorry Betty Buckley :/your still amazing). Some of the other actors who i felt were marvelous were: Jennyanydots (Caitlin Catanella), Deuteronomy (Dorien Belle), Jellylorum (Samantha DeWit), Jordan O'Brien (Rumpleteazer), and Bustopher Jones (Kelly Briggs, who is apart of the Actors Equity Association, AEA). 

 All in all, this one the 2nd best show I have ever seen at this theatre, and to everyone who missed it, you guys missed  A STELLAR SHOW!!!!! 

For more information about shows at the Broadway Theater of Pitman please visit www.thebroadwaytheatre.org

And make sure you continue to keep up with me, and everything  I am doing to change media in a POSITIVE way at: www.thepositivityproject.org

xx RyeMy "The Positive News maker"  
Encourage. Inspire. Empower 

*If you know someone who is currently making a difference in this world today (influential or not), and they would like to be interviewed, or you would like me to come review your show for your theater. Please contact me at : thepositivenewsmaker@gmail.com*

No comments:

Post a Comment