Thursday, January 23, 2014

Interview with Jula Udine: Currently starring as Christine Daee on 25th Ann. Phantom of the Opera Tour!

Hey All, 
 Check out part 1 of my coverage of Phantom of the Opera on Tour! I hope to have more things (including my review) when Phantom arrives in Philadelphia come March. I was so fortunate to be able to get Julia for an interview, because she is such a busy lady! Enjoy! xx Rye 


Hey Julia! Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy touring schedule to talk with me, and answer some questions about the show and you! J

Hi Rye!  Thanks so much for asking me! I'm flattered!



What is it like being a part of the new 25th Anniversary tour of Phantom of the Opera? And what has been best part of doing 
the show?  
 It is totally an honor to have been cast as Christine in this new restaged production of Phantom!!  Having the opportunity to perform with this amazing cast every night has been incredible!   The creative team has been has also been unbelievable to work with.  I have really learned a lot throughout this whole process from doing 8 shows a week, and also about publicity, traveling, taking care of myself and staying healthy!

hmmm the best part…I’d have to say growing into this character. I’ve never been in a show for longer then a month or two before, so it’s really exciting to discover new things about her and the story every night.



When did you start performing?
I started ballet classes when I was 3 years old, and my first musical was Fiddler on the Roof when I was 8 yrs old.  I played Shprintze!



This question is a special question from one of my followers How many rehearsals does the cast go through before taking to the stage?
I would say about 6 weeks before tech.  We started rehearsing the first week of October, 6 days a week, all day.  Then November 14th we moved to Providence for tech, which lasted 2 weeks and was also 6 days a week, day and night.  

 Previews started November 27th. That was our first show in front of an audience.  Rehearsals continued during the day even once the show started and even after we moved on to Minneapolis for the first week.      



What has been your favorite city so far?
We have only been to 3 cities so far, but I’m loving Chicago! 



It is so amazing with being how young you are to be playing such an iconic role, what was your audition process like, and how did you finally end up scoring the role?
I was originally supposed to audition in March, but I got sick and had to cancel.  At the end of May they had another round of auditions, and I was called back 6 times after that initial audition.   Each callback I sang different songs from the show and then they had a dance call where I had to do ballet.  The last few callbacks I worked a lot with the director, Laurence Connor, and I sang with different men that were auditioning for Phantom and Raoul.  That went on for about 3-4 weeks.  My auditions were taped for the producers to see.    

I was very fortunate to have auditioned at Tara Rubin casting. Everyone there is so nice and go out of their way to make you feel comfortable.  Also the creative team couldn't have been nicer throughout the whole process. As nervous as I was, they really made the process fun… well as fun as it could be!
I found out about 2 weeks later from my agent that I was cast as Christine!!  



What has been the best theater you guys have played at?
They truly have all been great so far, but The Providence Performing Arts center is absolutely beautiful!  I’m looking forward to returning to the Academy of Music in Philadelphia!  It's gorgeous!


Does the show have to be modified at all (like dances changed, or staging changed)  if a theater venue is smaller then others?
Our show travels with it's own stage, so it's the same at each venue.  It's an amazing set and we travel about 18 trucks!!!



What is your favorite song from the show, and is there a particularly line that you sing that you feel relates to your life?
Wishing you were somehow here again is one of my favorites!  The line "Sometimes it seems if I just dreamed, somehow you could be here" is a line I relate to, rather not say why though :) 



 What are some pre-show rituals you do to prepare for the show?
I do a short ballet barre before each show, and roll out on a foam roller, then a vocal warm up.  I also drink hot water with honey loquat!



 What do you find particularly special about the character Christine?
Christine has such an amazing emotional journey throughout the show.  I love that she has a backbone even though she is incredibly vulnerable.  



What advice can you give to people who want to break into this business?
Keep training!!! Never stop learning, and be curious!!! Also, stay humble.




What is the best advice you were even given growing up?
Be yourself!  Especially in this business, be the best YOU that you can be!



What else is coming up for you in the future for you?
haha one never knows!  Right now I’m just going to focus on growing as Christine!.

                  (Masquerade; The Phantom of the Opera-UK Tour)

For tickets visit www.kimmelcenter.org/broadway and to find out more about The Phantom of the Opera on Tour and when it will be in a city near you, visit www.thephantomoftheopera.com/ustour 

Keep Watching, Sharing, and Reading! 

 xx Rye My 
 Encourage. Inspire. Empower

visit www.thepositivityproject.org to learn more, and keep up to date on what I'am doing! 


No comments:

Post a Comment