Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Interview with Christine Dwyer, Elphaba Standby for WICKED on Broadway

Hey Guys!  
  "Is everyone born Wicked?" Christine Dwyer certainly wasn't!  

This was a really cool Q&A interview to do with Christine Dwyer. She is sooooooo nice! She is currently the Standby Elphaba on Broadway for the musical WICKED! She talks about what being a standby is like, and more! Check it out!  



Wicked Interview

Hey Christine! Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedule to talk with me, and answer some questions about the show and you!

RM:What is it like being standby Elphaba on Broadway? What is the role of a standby do? And how often do you perform?
CD:being the standby for elphaba is great! i get to sit backstage and hang out with my friends in the cast and crew and then when Lindsay has to call out, I get to go on for a great role! what could be better??

RM:When did you start performing?
CD:i started performing in middle school just in school plays and whatnot. my first professional job was the summer after my sophomore year of college as an acting intern at Winnipesaukee Playhouse!

RM:What does Wicked have coming up in 2014, will you be stepping into the shoes as full time Elphaba??
CD:Whoever is stepping into the role full time will be announced on Playbill! you'll have to wait until then to find out! =)

RM:What is your favorite song from the show, and is there a particularly line that you feel relates to your life?
CD: I actually love Thank Goodness. Although I don't sing it, it is my absolute favorite song in the show. And I have always loved the line "There are bridges you've crossed you didn't know you've crossed until you've crossed"

RM:What are some pre-show rituals you do to prepare for the show?
CD:I always gargle with warm salt water and sing the end of Wizard and I before every performance. I used to do it because I was nervous about the end of that song and now I think I just do it out of habit!

RM:What do you find particularly special about the character Elphie?
CD:She is strong and misunderstood but always tries to do the right thing. She always stands up for the underdog and puts herself in harms way to help her friends. I think that is extremely admirable.

RM:What advice can you give to people who want to break into this business?
CD:hard work always pays off! there are so many things that are not in your control when you're an actor. You never know why someone else got the job and not you, so the best thing you can do is prepare to the best of your ability. keeping in shape, taking classes, working on new material, learning about shows that are coming up and the people who wrote them. make choices and know your character when you walk in the room. and be kind to everyone you meet in the business. reputation speaks volumes and it's always good to be kind and easy to work with, even when you're frustrated. and surround yourself with friends who support you and are happy for you no matter what!

RM:What is the best advice you were even given?
CD:take yoga. =)



It was so nice to chat with Christine! You can find out more about Christine by visiting her site at www.christine-dwyer.com or buy tickets to see the show at www.wickedthemusical.com 

Make sure you check out my newly launched website, www.thepositivityproject.org and keep up to date on what i am up to!


xx Rye My 

No comments:

Post a Comment