Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Interview with 2013 Miss America Mallory Hagan

Below is my interview with the amazingly gracious,sweet, and talented Miss America 2013! I hope you all find inspiration in her interview, and that she too, can "Inspire. Empower. and Empower" you! :) xxRyeMy

Interview with 2013 Miss America Mallory Hagan

 What was it like being crowned the dream title of “Miss America”, what did you feel when they announced your name?

Well it was certainly surreal! I never, in a million years expected to actually win Miss America. It was honestly a life-long dream come true. I was in shock!


What was your life like after winning Miss America? (Question from my face book page!) 

Lots and lots…and lots of travel. I think many people are under the impression that Miss America just walks red carpets and smiles for photos all day, but it’s truly a job that comes with a lot of responsibility. I had the opportunity to do some things that were really fun and visit some cool places, but it was also a big change in my personal life!


Your platform was on child sexual abuse, how did you go about raising awareness and money during your reign? How did you gain national awareness of your platform, and how can we help?

I had the opportunity to work with many national organizations such as Prevent Child Abuse America, National Children’s Alliance, Stop it Now and Safe Horizon. In addition, I lobbied Capitol Hill on several occasions to restore funding for the 2014 fiscal budget for the National Children’s Advocacy Centers. I was able to raise awareness through my national media appearances as Miss America. You can help by donating to any of the above causes and opening up the conversation about child abuse in your own home.


You’re also very big on anti – gun violence, which I love and think is awesome because that is the leading cause of deaths today..What do you feel like this country needs to do today to end the war on guns and get them out of the wrong hands?

Well, I think that the country needs to come to a conclusion about federal laws to protect our citizens. The three most obvious choices for protection seem to be background checks, psychiatric evaluation and gun safety classes. If anyone in our country plans to use a firearm responsibly, then none of these steps should be an issue for them. In addition, I think the NSA’s influence among our politics is far too strong. 


What was it like winning Miss New York in 2012?

Winning Miss New York 2012 was a fantastic feeling but being Miss New York was the best! There’s just simply no way to explain the cool things that “Miss New York” gets to do in the ‘city that never sleeps.’ I had a blast during those 6 months!


Did you do any pageantry growing up, if so what kind, and what made you finally decide to go out for the Miss America Competition?

I began pageantry in the Miss America Organization through their Miss America’s Outstanding Teen program. I started as a way to be on stage and showcase my talent, but ended up falling in love with the Organization and what it stood for.



You’re a very good tap dancer, did you dance as a child? And do you still dance now? Any plans to do theatre?

I grew up dancing as a child in my grandmother’s studio in Memphis,TN and my mother’s studio in Opelika, AL. This year my mother celebrates her 20th season! No plans for theater for me. That’s not really my thing! ;)


What is next for Mallory Hagan in the future?

Who knows! I’m here in Los Angeles pursuing a career in television, but plans and people change. I wish I knew what the future held, but I’m having fun finding out!



What advice do you have for someone who wants to do what you did, or even just wants to change the world?

It only takes one person to make a huge impact! Don’t ever think that you are incapable of changing the world or, at the very least, a person’s mind. Child Abuse was a very difficult subject to talk about, but my becoming Miss America was something that sparked a national conversation. Go for it!


What was the best advice you ever received growing up?

“To whom much is given, much is expected.” – No one owes you anything. If you are lucky enough to receive blessings, go out and touch others, make a difference and do something to better the world!



For more information on Mallory Hagan, or to keep up with her, follow her on twitter at www.twitter.com/TheMalloryHagan

And for more info about what i am doing and to follow up with me, visit me at www.ThePositivityProject.org (You can also find my social networks on there as well!)

No comments:

Post a Comment